Friday, October 17, 2008

The digital nomad


"So, where do you call home?" Someone always asked me during those on-the-street encounters around my RV. "Where do you actually LIVE?"
"In the Internet," I'd answer, usually receiving a blank look in response. "You know... my home is the Net. Once you move to the Internet, your physical location becomes irrelevant."
By this time, the average questioner is squirming uncomfortably, unsure whether I am some kind of nutcase. I can almost hear him: "What's this freak trying to tell me? To give up my Jaccuzzi?"

Our world is increasingly opened up by wireless communication breakthroughs. Last year, in my mid-life crisis, I thought, 'My God, I'm lost and there's no hope!' But it wasn't that bad; it was more like, 'I'm lost but this may be a good thing because there is maybe a change that I have to make.' So, I shrunk my housing back down into manageable proportions. Living in a van is a hoot. Mobility satisfies your tangible needs. Being capable of becoming physically rootless but wired into your electronic "home" in the Internet changes our basic constructs: adjacencies, accessibility, attachment to the grid, boundaries between work and home. All these liberating, fascinating and terrifying concepts are being challenged by our current mortgage crisis! If elected I'll put a motion to allow vans & RVs to park in empty parking lots, behind churches, community centres and back alleys.

Ask Leon!

No comments: